Thursday, March 14, 2013

My 15-Minute Meal - Thai Yellow Curry Risotto

My 15-Minute Meal
Thai Yellow Curry Risotto - Vegetarian Style

If you love risotto but find it too time consuming to cook, you should love my 15-minute recipe here. It's simple, cheap, quick to cook, and most important of all very delicious.  You just need to enjoy cutting a bit.

Ingredients
  1. Some grinded garlic
  2. One onion
  3. Two medium size chicken leg mushroom
  4. One or two eggplants, depend on size
  5. 100 gm Thai yellow curry paste
  6. 250 ml coconut milk, thick or thin (I personally use thick milk as I can adjust consistency by adding water.)
  7. Two bowls of plain rice

Thai Yellow Curry Risotto - Vegetarian Style
I don't know the proper name of this kind of mushroom.  We call it ι›žθ‚Άθ‡ (chicken leg mushroom) in Cantonese.  I like its chewy kind of feeling.  Eggplant is a good companion of curry.  All the ingredients are cheap and easily available. 

Cooking Steps
  1. Cook two bowls of plain rice.
  2. Cut the onion, mushrooms and eggplants into small cubes.
  3. Add some olive oil to a hot pan and brown the garlic and onion.
  4. Add curry paste and stir until aromatic.
  5. Add the diced mushrooms and eggplants and keep stiring.
  6. Add coconut milk, keep stiring until boil.  Add water to adjust consistency as you wish.
  7. Turn heat down and simmer for 10 minutes.
  8. Now your rice should be about cooked.
  9. Add rice to the curry mixture and stir well for two minutes.
  10. Dish up.

Serve for two.  Cooking time 15 minutes

When I watch Jamie Oliver's 15-minute Meal, I notice one thing - he seldom or never wash anything.  He only counts the cooking time.  In that sense, mine is also a 15-minute meal.  However if we count preparation time such as wasing, cutting, getting pans ready, it's fair to add 15 minutes.  Well, cook a meal in 30 minutes is not bad at all! Isn't it?

I encourage home cooking, as it is far more healthy and economic than eating out.  Lack of cooking idea?  Check out the cook books I recommend in this blog.

Hong Kong Food Blog - Anna's 15-minute Meal

No comments: