On Saturday night, I have some time to do a simple home-made dinner. However I want something light, so I've decided to omit meat from traditional Mapo Tofu. It is a simple, quick and economic dish. Though I am Cantonese, but my Mapo Tofu is even more spicy than those from a Sichuan restaurant. Therefore, if you don't want to put on too much heat, don't use Guilin chilli sauce. Try use some mild Chinese chilli sauce.
Cooking Method: One person portion
1. Cook a pot of plain rice.
2. When rice is cooked, start cooking tofu.
3. Cut a half big cube of tofu into small cubes. Keep in fridge for a while to make it firm.
4. Par boil mushrooms and drain.
5. Heat a saucepan to high heat. Turn heat down and add one teaspoon of Guilin chilli sauce.
6. Add tofu, mushrooms and some salt. Cover for 30 seconds.
7. Thicken up with starch solution and let it simmer for one minute.
8. Serve on top of plain rice.
Cost: Half cube of tofu: HK$1.5 / Mushrooms: HK$2.5 (Total: HK$4 - isn't it economic enough?)
Vegetarian Spicy Tofu (Beancurd)