Wednesday, February 2, 2011

How To Cook Turnip Pudding

Turnip pudding is highly popular among Cantonese families as a Chinese New Year festival food. Many of us DIY at home and it's lots of fun. Today is the CNY eve and I have been busy making turnip pudding at home.

I don't have any professional recipe, all steps were inherited from my mother which in turn was from many generations before. There are many steps but we enjoy doing it.

How To Cook Turnip Pudding - Step by Step

1. Smash 3.6kg of turnips. This is good for 3 plates of 8 inches each.
2. Get some preserved meats such as lap cheung, dry shrimps or mushrooms and cut them into small pieces.
3. Boiled the smashed turnips. Add pinches of salt, sugar, chicken powder and any other seasoning such as pepper or seasame oil to your own taste.
4. Stir fry the preserved meats briefly.
5. Mix the boiled turnips, preserved meats and add 500 grams of rice flour (粘米粉) to the mixture. Use only 粘米粉 for the making of turnip pudding. Add rice flour bit by bit and stir well while adding.
6. Divide the pudding mixture into pudding plates.
7. Steam for 1.5 hours and start eating.

Warning: Do NOT Use These Cooking Oils

Cooking Turnip Pudding To Celebrate
Chinese New Year
蒸蘿蔔糕賀新年!


Step 1 - Smash the turnips 刨蘿蔔

Step 2 - get ready the meats


Step 5 - See I'm working hard in mixing
Here is my turnip pudding mixture
My sister is dividing them into various pudding plates

Going to steam

Ready to eat

Time to eat - enjoying my hardwork.

I enjoy eating turnip pudding immediately after cooking. This is the best time and most delicious way to eat turnip pudding. When it cools down, you need to reheat by steaming, pan fried or micro-wave. Honestly I don't like any of these methods as the turnip pudding will be less delicious. If you want to eat the most yummy turnip pudding, make it yourself and eat it immediately after steaming. Try it out. I'm sure you'll agree with me.

HAPPY NEW YEAR
KUNG HEI FAT CHOI !
Hong Kong Food Blog - Turnip Pudding

3 comments:

Meaghan said...

LOVED the turnip pudding. I tried to make it last night and I think I did okay. Now a weird question: in your past entries have you put up an entry for the crispy pork belly?
It's my favorite and I would love to know how to make it... Thanks!

Anna said...

Hi Meaghan

Unfortunately I didn't write about pork belly yet. In fact, stew pork belly is one of my favourites. I'll put up a post next time I cook it. So please subscribe my blog or get it to your RSS Feed so you won't miss it.

Joy said...

I miss HK food so so so much. WHY AM I STILL IN THE US?!