Friday, February 8, 2019

My Top 10 Chinese Foods

Here are my top 10 Chinese foods. It is a difficult list. Because there are so many yummy Chinese foods that I love.  Let me introduce them one by one.

1. Fried Rice - Yeung Chow Style 揚州炒飯
This is not only my favorite. I am sure it is one of the top sellers among Hong Kong restaurants.  Interesting thing is, if you go to Yeung Chow and ask for a Yeung Chow Fried Rice, nobody knows about it. If you say fried rice with prawns and cha siu, then the waiters will know, but they call it Hong Kong Fried Rice

2. Fried Beef Noodle 乾炒牛河
Another top seller in Hong Kong. If you ask a restaurant owner how many dishes he sells in a day, I think the number is going to be in 100s. The ingredients are simple, only beef and flat noodle, with dark soy sauce. Some chefs add onion or bean sprout as accessories. The beauty of this dish is ‘wok heat’. Sometimes we can smell it from the next table. If you eat it in a small casual restaurant, the ‘wok heat’ is stronger. Because the time between it is done and get on to your table is a matter of seconds. It is so beautifully attractive and delicious. 

3. Noodle with Green Onion and Oil 葱油伴面
This is a Shanghai dish. There are many variations in Hong Kong. I found the most authentic one in Xiao Nan Guo. As its name, it is simply plain noodle mixed with some dark soy sauce, green onion and oil. I had this recently in Shanghai. They serve with toppings while Hong Kong generally serves the plain version.

4. Stir Fried Eggs with Prawns 滑蛋蝦仁
I love this dish. I must order it if it is on the menu. Again, very simple ingredients, simply stir fried the prawns with eggs. The trick is ‘quick’ to ensure the eggs are silky smooth and the prawns are al dente. I have learned to cook this dish. The prawns are par-boiled before mixing with the eggs.

5. Roast Meats collection – Siu Mei 燒味

These are typical Cantonese way of cooking a number of meats, pork, chicken, duck, piglet etc., mainly applying high heat or real fire, hence the name ‘siu’ (meaning ‘burn’). I love all of them, but Cha Siu in particular (see photo above). But does the name ‘siu mei’ look a bit odd? In fact, it is a direct translation of the pronunciation. It is widely used in Hong Kong. See the photo below showing a shop selling siu mei rice, they called themselves ‘siu mei fan’. ‘Fan’ is the translation of ‘rice’. Expacts who live in Hong Kong long enough may understand. For visitors, I doubt.

6. Smoked Duck 樟茶鴨
I came across this dish at Sichuan Restaurant in Beijing some 10 years ago and loved it since then. So I’m not quite sure if it is a Sichuan cuisine or Beijing Cuisine. In Hong Kong I think it is available in Shanghai or Beijing restaurants. Try it once, and I’m sure you’ll love the special fragrance and the juicy and tenderness of the duck. 

7. Mutton Hot Pot 羊腩煲
Hot pots are very popular in cold winter days. For me, mutton hot pot is the top choice. They are served on real fire in order to keep the heat. As mutton is somehow smelly in nature, therefore there are also water chestnuts, mushrooms, tofu sheets and bamboo shoots in the hot pot in order keep the smell away. Lettuce is usually served in a set. But some restaurants cut the price down by not serving the lettuce. So you would have to pay extra, if you want it. 

8. Seafood Abalone 鮑魚
Hong Kong is an island, so seafood is almost the favorite of everyone. I used to love seafood feast, i.e. the entire meal consists of seafood only. But I am really afraid of struggling with bones and shells which frequently hurt my mouth. So abalone has gradually become my top pick. Simply steamed and served with green onion, hot oil and soy sauce is very yummy. If you buy the dry ones, they are extremely expensive. Fresh ones are good and economic.

9. Mapo Tofu 麻婆豆付
This is my top choice Sichuan dish. If you love spicy food, then you must try it. Make sure to go to some authentic Sichuan restaurants or you won’t be able to get the real taste which will paralyze your tongue and make you cry!

10. Stir Fried Broccoli with Garlic 蒜蓉清炒西蘭花
As a Cantonese myself, stir fried any vegetable is the quickest and easiest way of cooking. Add some garlic will be perfect and healthy as well. Almost all restaurants serve stir fried vegetables of your choice. At home, stir fried broccoli always come to my mind when I want to cook a quick and simple meal.



Hong Kong Food Blog - My Top 10 Chinese Foods

No comments: